This report was compiled from a study conducted by the Gender Policy Unit of Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria. It was necessitated out of the need by staff and students to be provided with a more efficient transport service within Samaru and Congo campuses of the University. The series of written and verbal complaints from distressed staff and students who experience difficulties accessing the intra-university transport service could not be ignored for the progress university.
The GPU set to verify the intra-campus transport problems with these objectives in focus, to;
- Identify the modes of transport services in the university.
- investigate the challenges of staff and students accessing the services of intra-university transport services,
- examine the efficacy of the intra-campus transport services and
- examine options for improvement.
A one weak rapid appraisal analysis was undertaken by a team of researchers in the unit in middle December 2015. Result of the appraisal fashioned the development of a semi-structured questionnaire that was administered 200 respondents sampled from staff and students in Samaru and Congo campuses.
From the results of the survey, the following are recommended
- The re-introduction of motorcycle services without delay.
- Increase in the number of tricycles or ban them with immediate effect.
- Restrict the movement of the few shuttle buses to Samaru-Congo highway only.
- Re-visit the use of designate nodal points within residential, hostel and academic areas.
- Draw a time table for drivers to the nodal points before and after work/ lecture hours.
- Encourage the use of bicycles among staff and students.
- Provide soft loans for staff and students to purchase bicycles.
- Review the opening and closing hours of the major gates by 2 hours to ease stranded staff and student after 6pm.
- Finally, more dedicated parking areas should be created to reduce the number of people parking on the streets there by slowing down traffic.
- Assemble all stakeholders in the business of intra-campus transport for concrete solutions because the challenges identified are not fiction.